Release of Personal Information
Please use this form to request personal information from your file.
As a current or former member of the Ontario College of Teachers or as an applicant for membership, you are entitled to personal information that the College has pertaining to you.
Personal information includes documents that are in the public domain as well as documents that you have supplied to the College such as copies of your application form, employment authorization, birth certificate, change of name certificate and teaching certificate. You may also use this form to request copies of documents other institutions have provided to us on your behalf.
The College will make every effort to respond to your request within 30 days.
In some cases, access to personal information may be partially granted or denied. Access may be denied in circumstances where:
- the information contains references to other individuals and cannot be severed
- providing the information is prohibitively costly
- disclosure may result in significant harm to the person requesting access or to a third party
- the information was collected or created in the course of an inspection, investigation, inquiry, assessment or similar procedure authorized by law
- the College did not create the document and it is appropriate to direct the person to the organization that created it
- disclosure may defeat the purpose for which the information was collected
- the information cannot be disclosed for legal, security, or commercial propriety reasons
- the information is subject to legal or other privilege
- the information was created during the course of a formal dispute resolution process
- the request is frivolous or vexatious, or is otherwise an abuse of process.
If your request for access is partially granted or denied, you will be provided with reasons for the denial or the decision to grant you partial access. Any applicable refund will also be issued.