Amendments to Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation filed
March 19 2014
Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation amended to formalize certification requirements related to Ontario’s Enhanced Teacher plans
Regulation amendments were filed on March 11, 2014 that formalize certification requirements for graduates of Ontario’s enhanced teacher education program.
The amendments affect the College’s Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation and establish that new teachers certified after August 31, 2015 are required to meet the new program requirements. Current and former College members are not affected by the change.
Highlights of the regulation include:
- people who previously completed Ontario programs but had not become certified with the College by August 31, 2015 will be required to meet the new, enhanced program requirements to obtain a full certificate. If they are not certified with the College by August 31, 2015, they may receive a certificate with conditions.
- internationally educated teachers certified by the College on or before August 31, 2015, will need to meet the current requirements. If they are certified by the College after August 31, 2015, they will need to meet new enhanced program requirements.
The regulation makes exceptions for:
- those enrolled in concurrent or multi-session programs on August 31, 2015
- those who are midway through a consecutive program that ends after September 1, 2015
- circumstances for those who were unable to complete a program prior to September 1, 2015.
The revised version of the Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation can be seen at http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/source/regs/english/2014/elaws_src_regs_r14059_e.htm. Information about the enhanced program can be found on the College’s website at http://www.oct.ca/public/the-public-interest/newteachered.