College updates ongoing professional learning advice
October 26 2016
Council has approved revisions to the College’s Additional Qualifications: Extending Professional Knowledge professional advisory.
First published in March 2008, the advice clarifies the system of qualifications in a division or subject, commonly known as Additional Basic Qualifications (ABQs) and Additional Qualifications (AQs).
- reflects changes to initial teacher education introduced in September 2015 via the Enhanced Teacher Education Program
- includes new AQ’s and name changes to some AQs
- clarifies supervisory officer qualification requirements
- includes all Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation schedules
- provides additional links to resources.
The advisory recognizes that ongoing professional learning is an integral part of teaching. It reflects the ongoing review and updating of teachers’ qualifications by the College, its members and education partners.
Throughout their careers, teachers acquire additional skills and knowledge to take on new assignments and responsibilities. Last year, College members completed more than 33,000 additional qualification courses.
The College is mandated to provide for the ongoing education of its members and the profession’s standards reflect an expectation that all members participate in ongoing learning.