101 Bloor Street West
Toronto ON, M5S 0A1
P: 416-961-8800
Toll Free (Ontario Only): 1-888-534-2222
F: 416-961-8822

Ontario College of Teachers logo

A teacher helps a student with their work

Find a Teacher

Frequently Asked Questions

What qualifications do I need to teach in English or French language schools?

In general, teachers who receive their initial training in a teacher education program where English is the language of instruction are eligible to teach in English-language publicly-funded schools. Similarly, teachers trained in French-language programs are eligible to teach in French-language publicly-funded schools. At the elementary level, there is a language restriction. You must hold English-language basic qualifications (Primary, Junior, Intermediate or Senior) to teach in an English-language elementary school and you must hold French-language basic qualifications (primaire, moyen, intermédiaire or supérieur) to teach in a French language elementary school. French immersion schools are considered English-language schools. There is no language restriction for secondary school teaching assignments.

To teach French as a Second Language (FSL), you must hold the specific qualification on your Certificate of Qualification and Registration or the board must ask the Ministry of Education for a Temporary Letter of Approval. 

However, College members may obtain qualifications to teach in another language by adding Additional Qualifications offered by approved providers to their certificate. Click here for information on these courses.

For any information about teaching assignments, please contact the Ministry of Education.


How helpful was this answer? *

(1=not helpful, 5=very helpful)

Still not finding the answers you need?
      Email us

      Call us at 416-961-8800 or toll free in Ontario at 1-888-534-2222

101 Bloor Street West, Toronto ON, M5S 0A1, P: 416.961.8800 / Toll Free (Ontario Only): 1.888.534.2222 / F: 416.961.8822 / info@oct.ca

© 2019 Ontario College of Teachers

Back To Top