101 Bloor Street West
Toronto ON, M5S 0A1
P: 416-961-8800
Toll Free (Ontario Only): 1-888-534-2222
F: 416-961-8822

Ontario College of Teachers logo

A teacher helps a student with their work

Find a Teacher

Frequently Asked Questions

What courses do I need to take to teach at the intermediate level or in high school?

Teaching methodology courses completed in the initial teacher education program determine the teaching subjects granted to teachers in Ontario with basic qualifications in the Intermediate and Senior divisions. The complete list of teaching subjects can be found in Teachers’ Qualifications Regulation, or in the Additional Qualification Courses section of our website.

Members of the Ontario College of Teachers can also add Intermediate or Senior division teaching subjects by completing one or more Additional Basic Qualification courses. Contact a faculty of education directly regarding the number of university credits required for admission to an ABQ course in a specific teaching subject.

Teaching subject qualifications are not granted based on academic credits or degrees in the subject.

How helpful was this answer? *

(1=not helpful, 5=very helpful)

Still not finding the answers you need?
      Email us

      Call us at 416-961-8800 or toll free in Ontario at 1-888-534-2222

101 Bloor Street West, Toronto ON, M5S 0A1, P: 416.961.8800 / Toll Free (Ontario Only): 1.888.534.2222 / F: 416.961.8822 / info@oct.ca

© 2019 Ontario College of Teachers

Back To Top