Frequently Asked Questions
How do I qualify for equivalent standing?
The College determines whether education courses are eligible for equivalent standing.
To qualify for equivalent standing a course must:
- extend beyond the teacher education program required for initial certification
- have been completed at an accredited teacher training institution or in
an approved graduate program in teacher education
- match the content of the Additional Qualification course for which equivalent
standing is being requested
- represent at least 125 hours of study
- contain a concentrated study of teaching methodology appropriate for curriculum
in Ontario elementary and/or secondary schools.
There is a non-refundable fee for equivalency assessments. Equivalency is not granted based on academic (non-pedagogical) courses or experience. Please note: Equivalent Standing is intended for approved teacher education coursework completed at an institution outside of Ontario.
To apply, please go to the Forms section
on our web site. Alternatively, provide a mailing address or fax number and
we'll mail you an application form.