101 Bloor Street West
Toronto ON, M5S 0A1
P: 416-961-8800
Toll Free (Canada and U.S.A.): 1-888-534-2222
F: 416-961-8822

Ontario College of Teachers logo

Find a Teacher

Concern/Complaint Process

We take concerns about our members seriously. Here is how to raise a concern about a member:

  1. In some cases, it is appropriate to speak to the teacher, principal or school board/employer first.
    If appropriate, see if the issue can be dealt with at the school or board/employer level.
  2. Talk to us
    If you need further assistance, call our Investigations and Professional Conduct Department.
    • Phone: 437-880-3000
    • Toll-free (Ontario): 1-833-966-5588
  3. Submit information regarding your concern
    If the issue is not resolved, information regarding a concern can be filed with our Intake staff. Concerns are screened to ensure that it would be appropriate for the College to investigate, and that the concerns meet the other requirements under the Ontario College of Teachers Act. Anonymous concerns will typically not be investigated.

Note: If there are concerns about multiple members, there must be a separate concern submitted for each member.

Submit information online regarding a concern

Submit information by mail regarding a concern

Concerns may be submitted in writing or by audio or video-recording and sent to:
Registrar of the College
Ontario College of Teachers
101 Bloor Street West
Toronto, ON M5S 0A1

To facilitate processing and efficiency, concerns are best sent by email.

Submission checklist

In your submission, you must include:

  • your name
  • your address and phone number
  • the nature of the complaint
  • the name of the member
  • any other supporting information.

Need help?

Call us:
Toronto: 437-880-3000
Toll-free (Ontario): 1-833-966-5588

Find more details about our process in our guide, Steps to Take: If You Have a Concern About a Member

What happens next?

Intake staff evaluate the file. If they determine that the concern relates to professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity and is neither frivolous nor vexatious, the matter is transferred to an investigator.

Initiate an Investigation

An investigator prepares a Request to Initiate Investigation form based on the information provided in support of the concern. The person who raised the concern signs the form and an investigation is initiated.

Informing the member

If the complaint falls within the College’s jurisdiction, the member will be informed of the complaint and given 60 days to respond. Their response will be shared with the complainant. Information provided in support of the concern will in most circumstances be disclosed to the member under investigation.

Complaint Resolution

If appropriate, certain complaints may be resolved through our voluntary complaint resolution program without an investigation or hearing.


If the complaint is not suitable for or cannot be resolved through complaint resolution, an investigation will be conducted, which may include gathering documents and / or interviewing individuals who may be able to provide relevant information.

101 Bloor Street West, Toronto, ON, M5S 0A1

Client Services:

Telephone: 416.961.8800

Toll-Free (Canada and U.S.A.): 1.888.534.2222


All Other Inquiries:

Telephone: 437.880.3000

Toll-Free (Canada and U.S.A.): 1.833.966.5588


© 2024 Ontario College of Teachers

Back To Top