Minutes of Council Meetings
Minutes of the Meeting with the Transition Supervisory Officer held on March 17, 2021 via Videoconference
Present: Paul Boniferro (Transition Supervisory Officer)
Staff: Derek Haime, OCT (Registrar); Chantal Bélisle, OCT (Deputy Registrar); Linda Lacroix, OCT; Richard Lewko; Shirley Rodricks; Demetra Saldaris, OCT; Fred Towers (until 9:25 a.m.); Linda Zaks-Walker, OCT; Kim Bauer (Recorder)
1. Call to Order/Welcome
The meeting was called to order at 9 a.m. The Registrar, Derek Haime, welcomed all those present.
No amendments to the meeting agenda were requested.
3. Conflict of Interest
No conflicts were declared.
- 4.1 Meeting, December 3-4, 2020
The minutes of the December 3-4, 2020 meeting of Council were approved as presented.
- 4.2 In Camera Session, December 4, 2020
The minutes of the in camera session held on December 4, 2020 were approved as presented.
- 4.3 Special Meeting, December 11, 2020
The minutes of the December 11, 2020 special meeting of Council were approved as presented.
5. Risks and Strategic Priorities
- 5.1 Registrar’s Report
The report of the Registrar was received.
The Registrar, Derek Haime, highlighted a number of sections of the report, including:
- the successful launch of the online application process to fill College roster positions, with over 300 applications received;
- the ongoing regular meetings with Ministry of Education staff and the development of draft regulations; and
- the College’s continuing activity on social media, noting that the number of followers was above 200,000.
The Registrar and members of the Senior Leadership Team responded to questions from the Transition Supervisory Officer and provided additional clarification on a number of College activities.
- 5.2 Financial Report
The Deputy Registrar, Chantal Bélisle, introduced the Controller, Fred Towers.
The Controller provided an overview of the financial report for the period ended December 31, 2020 and responded to questions. He confirmed that the College had ended the year in a positive position and anticipated a strong first quarter for 2021.
Members of the College Senior Leadership Team provided additional information on their major expenditures and steps being taken to investigate further cost saving measures. It was agreed that a future meeting would be scheduled to discuss ways to realize spending reductions with respect to legal services.
The following items of correspondence were presented for information:
- Letter to Minister Stephen Lecce to thank him for his address to Council
- Letter to Minister Stephen Lecce summarizing motions passed at the December 3 and 4, 2020 Council meeting.
The Transition Supervisory Officer thanked members of the Senior Leadership Team for the information presented and commended them on continuing to focus the College’s activities on protecting the public interest.
The Registrar indicated that all decisions made by the Transition Supervisory Officer, including those made subsequent to the quarterly meetings, would be captured within a decision grid for future reference and for public disclosure.
The meeting adjourned at 10:05 a.m.