Certified to teach in Ontario: 1994
Current employment: Full-time elementary teacher
Employer: Sudbury Catholic District School Board
Started career as an occasional teacher in 2001 with the Sudbury Catholic DSB. Taught the English component of French Immersion from 2001–2002. In September 2002, began working at St. Joseph School in the rural setting of Killarney. Has continued to teach all grades from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 6 at St. Joseph, where all students are of Aboriginal descent.
Locally serves as first vice-president of Sudbury OECTA elementary and occasional teachers as well as school association representative. Has held various positions on local executive, including second vice-president, councillor and social committee chair. An active member of the local bargaining team who has served as chief negotiating officer. Provincially has attended grievance officer training, was part of OECTA’s anti-bullying initiative and health and safety committee and been a frequent AGM delegate.
As a previous College Council member, she has come to further understand Council’s responsibility to safeguard, protect and improve the teaching vocation. The College’s duties are met through various Council committees. The protection of the public interest is achieved through ongoing professional development to benefit College members. The result of this is a high standard of conduct that will contribute to moving the teaching profession forward in a very positive way.
Maintaining the high standards of our profession is one of my key objectives. During the fifth and sixth College Councils, I served on the Accreditation, Registration Appeals, Editorial Board, Discipline and Nominations committees (now Governance Committee) and was committed to ongoing communication with my area members. This experience helped me understand the responsibility the College has to safeguard, protect and improve the teaching profession. Our vocation often faces challenges; I understand the issues and want to strive toward implementing solutions. Through this election I hope to work on behalf of members in matters concerning regulation of the teaching profession that benefit them.
Eligible nominators (Registration)
- Bradley Blackwell, OCT (605233)
- Colleen Blackwell, OCT (533691)
- Shannon Duguay, OCT (457528)
- Jules Guenette, OCT (469543)
- Anne-Marie Machum, OCT (398175)
- Graham Kent MacNeill, OCT (454751)
- Chantal Rancourt, OCT (203319)
- Carole Remillard, OCT (492671)
- Lisa Rossi, OCT (657079)
- Holly Swain, OCT (247270)
1. Irene Dembek attests that she is eligible and willing to be nominated, meets all the requirements to run for the Northeast Region – Full-Time position and to serve on Council, confirms that all information provided is accurate and agrees to the publication of this information (in response to questions 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7 of the Candidate Statement part of her Nomination).
2. Irene Dembek does not hold an excluded position that would prevent her from serving on Council (in response to question 4 of the Candidate Statement part of her Nomination).
3. Irene Dembek acknowledges that, if elected, she will be required to swear an oath or make an affirmation to serve in the public interest prior to assuming a Council position (in response to question 5 of the Candidate Statement part of her Nomination).