Teacher Education Program Completed in English or French
The College must have proof that you are able to communicate effectively in English or French. There are several ways to do this.
You satisfy the English requirement and do not have to send proof of proficiency if you completed a teacher education program in English in one of these countries:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- New Zealand
- Republic of Ireland
- Saint Kitts-Nevis
- St. Lucia
- Sierra Leone
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- United Kingdom
- United States
- US Virgin Islands
You satisfy the French requirement and do not have to send proof of proficiency if you completed a teacher education program in French in one of these countries:
- Congo - Democratic Republic and Republic
- French Guyana
- Ivory Coast
- If your teacher education program was conducted either entirely in English or entirely in French in a country other than the ones listed, you will need to arrange to have a letter sent directly to the College from the head of the institution that you attended.
The letter needs to confirm that the language of instruction at the time you took the program was either entirely in English or entirely in French.
- If you completed your primary and postsecondary education or your secondary and postsecondary education entirely in English or entirely in French, ask each institution to send a letter to the College confirming the language of instruction for the entire program when you attended.
- If you completed your teacher education program in a country not on the list on but you are certified in another Canadian jurisdiction, and at the time of certification you were assessed for language proficiency and met that jurisdiction’s requirements.
- If you cannot meet the requirements set out in 1,2,3,4 or 5 above, you must provide proof of proficiency in English or French by passing a language proficiency test. Please arrange to have the test provider send the successful results of your language proficiency test directly to the College. The College cannot accept proof from you, even in an unopened, sealed envelope.
If you have special needs because of a disability, please contact the testing agency directly to confirm appropriate arrangements can be made to accommodate you. The College cannot accept test results older than two years.
Teacher Education Program in a Language Other than English or French - Language Proficiency Tests
The College accepts results from the following tests:
The acceptable test scores for the new TOEFL test establish acceptable standards for the reading, listening, writing and speaking skills of College applicants whose teacher education program was not conducted in English.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (academic test only)
On a single test, you must have an overall score of at least 7 on the IELTS (academic test only), with scores of at least 6.5 in reading and listening and 7 in writing and speaking.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language, Internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT)
On a single test, you must have an overall score of 103 with scores of at least 23 in listening, 24 in reading, 28 in writing and 28 in speaking.
- Test pour étudiants et stagiaires au Canada (TEStCan)
You must have a minimum score of 5 in each of writing, reading and listening, and 4.5 in speaking. Contact TESTCan for information on combining scores from separate tests.
Where You Can Take Language Proficiency Tests
For more information on specific tests, costs and locations in Ontario and internationally, contact:
IELTS Test Centre Canada
Conestoga College of Applied Arts and
299 Doon Valley Drive
Kitchener ON N2G 4M4
519-748-3516; Fax: 519-748-3505
Includes information on testing done overseas. The University of Cambridge’s local examination is not acceptable.
IELTS Subject Officer
Cambridge International Examinations
1 Hills Road, Cambridge CB1 2EU
United Kingdom 1223 553558;
Fax: 1223 553554
Includes information on testing done overseas.
PO Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541 USA
609-771-7100 Fax: 610-290-8972
The Ontario College of Teachers institution code for TOEFL is 9041.
Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute
University of Ottawa
600 King Edward Avenue, Room 114
Ottawa ON K1N 6N5
613-562-5800, ext. 3461; Fax: 613-562-5126
For more information about language proficiency requirements, contact Client Services at email@example.com, 416-961-8800 or toll-free in Ontario at 1-888-534-2222.