The Ontario College of Teachers is Canada’s only self-regulatory body for teachers. The College licenses, governs and regulates teachers in Ontario.
You can find information about teaching jobs in Ontario and the rest of Canada by visiting Education Canada and Teach in Ontario.
Interested in getting email alerts when new employment opportunities at the College are posted? Visit this page to sign up.
Bilingual Program Officer
Standards of Practice and Education Unit
Standards of Practice and Accreditation Department
Category 5a - Salary Range $81,543-$121,933
One year secondment (renewable)
A member of the Ontario College of Teachers with solid knowledge of teacher education and demonstrated successful teaching, leadership, program development and research experience, your assignment will be to facilitate standards-based research, policy and program development, collaborative development of Additional Qualification course guidelines and the enforcement of the Ethical Standards for the Teaching Profession and the Standards of Practice for the Teaching Profession.
Experience working in French Language educational contexts is required. Excellent French- and English-language writing and oral language proficiency required with French language proficiency at the following Canadian Language Benchmark levels: oral expression (11), oral comprehension (11), written comprehension (11), and written expression (11). Some travel within Ontario is required in this position.
Your responsibilities will include interpreting College policies and regulations, liaising with teacher education programs, and conducting research, analysis and development of policies and programs related to initial teacher education, continuing teacher education and professional practice.
- Facilitate the development of additional qualification course guidelines
- Carry out varied primary and secondary source research studies on pre-service teacher education, in-service teacher education, and teaching practices in Ontario and other jurisdictions, including the identification of innovations and pilot programs in teacher education within Ontario
- Support standards-based teacher education through research, analysis and the scholarship of teaching
- Foster policy partnership with educational partners
- Support the Manager of Standards of Practice and Education, the Department Director and the Standards of Practice and Education Committee with respect to teacher education policy development, including information about pertinent research findings, trends in teacher education policies and practices and indicators of outcomes in other jurisdictions.
- Prepare presentations, reports, briefing notes, literature reviews, position papers and statistical and other evaluative studies for the Manager of Standards of Practice and Education, the Department Director or and the Standards of Practice and Education Committee with respect to policy alternatives in teacher education.
- Support province-wide consultation on policy options being considered by the Standards of Practice and Education Committee.
- Facilitate educative and policy development sessions based on the Ethical Standards for the Teaching Profession and the Standards of Practice for the Teaching Profession.
- Conduct program development and policy development and research activities to support initial and continuing teacher education.
- Prepare responses to College correspondence, inquiries or other requirements in support of the College accountability with respect to the ethical standards, the standards of practice and the professional learning framework.
- Keep abreast of current issues, trends and research in teacher education and career long teacher professional learning in Ontario and other jurisdictions, and of changes in policy, legislation, technology and innovations that may affect teacher education standards and practices.
- Develop resources to support awareness and understanding of the ethical standards and the standards of practice.
- Perform other duties as required by the College.
To apply, please forward your resume and covering letter by October 15, 2014. E-mail applications preferred: firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate Posting 14-25 in subject heading.